A Golden Jewel in a Swine’s Snout
A jewel of gold can be of great worth. It has many uses whereby its owner could receive some benefit. Yet, if that jewel of gold is found in the snout of a swine, all of a sudden the desire to have it is decreased significantly. The Bible likens this to a fair (beautiful) woman which is void of discretion. Outward beauty is an important matter in the eyes of the world, but a beautiful woman without the ability to be discreet is just like a jewel of gold in a pig’s snout. The Bible also emphasizes the need of a young lady for discretion in Titus 2:5. Perhaps a glimpse into the garden would teach us why this is the case. In the garden, Eve made the decision to partake of the fruit based on what she saw and felt. It is extremely important that God’s people, including ladies, make their decisions based upon discretion.
- (For smaller children) What if Mom never felt like washing clothes, and Dad never felt like going to work? What if you never felt like cleaning your room? God wants us to do what is right, not just what we feel like doing.
- What are the most important things in life? Would you say that the style of your clothes is more important than wisdom? Is the amount of money you have more important than walking with God? Are your looks more important than discretion?
- Why is it important for ladies to use discretion? If a lady is a wife or mother, who will her decisions effect? Do the same things hold true for men? What should both men and women do to ensure that they are leading others in the right direction?
- Ask God to show you the present order of your priorities. Ask Him for the grace to change what needs to be changed.
- Pray that the Lord will help you make decisions based upon truth rather than emotion.
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
LTB DEVOTIONS ON FACEBOOK
Receive the daily devotions on your facebook wall by clicking "Like" on http://www.facebook.com/kingjamesbibledailydevotions.