Daily Devotion - February 1, 2013
A strong desire for something that belongs to another has often moved men to partake in violent deeds that they might not otherwise have been willing to do. Ahab, a wicked king, had a strong desire to obtain a vineyard belonging to Naboth (1 Kings 21:1-4). When Naboth refused to sell the vineyard, Ahab went home to mourn. When Jezebel saw her husband’s grief, she created a plan to take the vineyard by force (1 Kings 21:5-16). This principle is not limited to Ahab and Jezebel, but has unfortunately been the motive of many acts of violence throughout history. When men cannot fulfil the lusts of their flesh in a righteous man-ner, they often resort to any means necessary, including violence.
- (For smaller children) In the story of the good Samaritan, the man who was traveling was a victim of violence by covetous men (Luke 10:30). The Book of Job speaks of the covetousness of the wicked (Job 20:19; Job 24:2-4). Ephesians 4:28 tells us how to get what we desire.
- Have you seen or read in the news about any acts of violence done in order to gain someone else’s possessions? How is that similar to what was done by Ahab and Jezebel?
- What are some things for which you long (i.e., material goods, emotional needs, physical needs)? What would you be willing to do in order to obtain those things?
- Ask God to help you be content with what He has given you.
- Ask the Lord to help you see the wickedness of violence.
He Leadeth Me
LTB DEVOTIONS ON FACEBOOK
Receive the daily devotions on your facebook wall by clicking "Like" on http://www.facebook.com/kingjamesbibledailydevotions.