Door Keepers in the House of the Lord (Daily Portion 10207)
Scripture Passage:1 Chronicles 26:1-19
The priests had already been divided into twenty-four courses in order to organize their work more efficiently. Now, the Levites who cared about the service of the temple, the porters, are organized in the same way.
What Does It Say?
- Unto Shemaiah were sons born who _________ throughout the house of their father; for they were mighty men of __________.
- The sons and brethren of Obededom were able men of _________ for the __________.
- The divisions of the porters were made among the chief men having _________ one against another to ___________ in the house of the Lord.
- Zechariah, the son of Shelemiah, was known as a wise ____________.
- The gate called Shallecheth was by the __________ of the going up.
What Does It Mean?
- The porters (v.1) were descended from the family of the Korhites. The Korhites were the descendants of Korah (Exodus 6:24). Korah descended from Kohath (Numbers 16:1), one of the three main families of the tribe of Levi. Read Numbers 4:4-20 and describe the work of the Kohathites.
- Several sons of Hosah are mentioned (v.10-11). The first one mentioned is “Simri the chief, (for though he was not the firstborn, yet his father made him chief.” In Bible times, the firstborn son was to be chief in his family after his father died. However, the Bible records a number of instances where exception is made to this common rule. How many examples can you think of?
- In this chapter, the doorkeepers of the temple are divided into wards (v.16-19). Count the groups in verses 17-19 and add them up. How many wards are there? How does this compare with what David did with the priests (1 Chronicles 24:5-19) and the singers (1 Chronicles 25:8-31)?
What Does It Mean to Me?
- Divisions of the porters were made “for every gate” (v.13). In 1 Chronicles 9:19, these men are called the “keepers of the gates of the tabernacle.” In 1 Chronicles 15:24, they are called “doorkeepers for the ark.” What do you think it meant to be a doorkeeper? Porters were those who carried something. Why do think their job changed from porter to doorkeeper at this point in Israel’s history? What does this knowledge add to your understanding of David’s statement in Psalm 84:11?
- Obededom is one of the doorkeepers in the house of the Lord (1 Chronicles 15:24). He also plays a harp in praise to God (1 Chronicles 15:21) and is blessed with a great family (1 Chronicles 26:4-8). Read 2 Samuel 6:10-12 and tell why Obededom was blessed so much. How can we follow in his example?
But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.