Joy and Peace
We have already discussed some of the things that go along with joy, but our passage provides yet another virtue that yokes up with joy. The vast majority of people would confess that they desire to have joy, yet most are not willing to seek the prerequisites for that joy. According to our passage, joy comes as a package deal with peace. We see this relationship in Proverbs 12:20 where the Bible says, "Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counsellors of peace is joy." Those who seek peace will often find joy along with it. We also find this connection in Isaiah 55:12 where the Bible says, "For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace." We will not "go out with joy" unless we are "led forth with peace."
- (For smaller children) Which is more fun: fighting with friends or playing nicely? Do you know God wants you to be a peacemaker? That means you don't always get your own way. You will have more joy in your heart when you try to be kind to others.
- Do you have "peace with God," also known as salvation (Romans 5:1)? Do you have the "peace of God" (peace only offered to the saved) ruling in your heart (Colossians 3:15)? If not, you will not be able to experience the joy of the Lord.
- Peace and joy are not dependant upon outside influences. Have you lost your joy and peace? If so, you cannot blame anything but yourself.
- Ask the Lord to burn the truth of the connection between peace and joy into the depths of your heart.
- Ask the Lord to help you fight to keep your peace and joy.
LTB DEVOTIONS ON FACEBOOK
Receive the daily devotions on your facebook wall by clicking "Like" on http://www.facebook.com/kingjamesbibledailydevotions.