Stirring Up Strife - Proverbs 15:18
This world is full of problems. People say and do things every day that they should not. All the ingredients are present for strife. The Bible says a wrathful man will look for the possibility of strife and do what is necessary to stir it up (Proverbs 15:18). Why? Because he is proud of heart (Proverbs 28:25) and full of hatred (Proverbs 10:12). The Bible further describes this work in Proverbs 26:20-21 where it says, "Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth. As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife." A contentious man notes when the fire of strife is going out, and seeks to kindle the flame.
- (For smaller children) The Jews who hated Paul's gospel stirred up the people in their own cities: Antioch (Acts 13:50); Iconium (Acts 14:1, 2, 5-7). They even followed Paul to another city (Lystra) to stir up trouble (Acts 14:19).
- Have you ever had a conflict with someone? Has it been resolved? Do you find that it seems to be fixed, but then blows up again? If so, it is likely that someone is stirring it up.
- Do you look for ways to turn people against each other? Do you seek to draw things out of people only to tell others and stir up trouble? If so, you need to repent and get right with the Lord!
- Ask God to forgive you for times you have stirred up strife.
- Ask God to help you see when someone is trying to cause strife.
Yield Not to Temptation
LTB DEVOTIONS ON FACEBOOK
Receive the daily devotions on your facebook wall by clicking "Like" on http://www.facebook.com/kingjamesbibledailydevotions.