Strong Men Retain Riches - Proverbs 11:16
When one thinks of strength, he often thinks of physical brawn. He might think of the ability to lift weight or endure a great amount of pain. Yet, the Bible states that one of the greatest emblems of strength is the ability to retain riches. According to Proverbs 23:5, "riches . . . make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven." A fool watches as the substance given to him of the Lord departs with no benefits to show, but a strong man sets aside and wisely preserves what the Lord has given him. Perhaps one of the most difficult things for a person to do is to refrain from spending money to satisfy the lusts of the flesh.
- (For smaller children) Many kings foolishly spent their money on things that were not necessary. King David had a heart for God and gave his son Solomon gold and silver for the materials with which to build God a house. The people gave willingly also. Would we have a little extra for the work of God or do we spend it all on ourselves?
- What is your biggest area of waste when it comes to money? In light of this, what do you think about the phrase "strong men retain riches"?
- Does money burn holes in your pocket? Do you find it difficult to retain riches? What steps could you follow in order to insure that you spend money with wisdom?
- Ask the Lord to give you strength to retain riches.
- Ask God to help you use wisdom in spending money.
Take My Life, and Let it Be
LTB DEVOTIONS ON FACEBOOK
Receive the daily devotions on your facebook wall by clicking "Like" on http://www.facebook.com/kingjamesbibledailydevotions.