The Fifth and Sixth Days of Creation (Daily Portion 10108)
Scripture Passage:Genesis 1:20-31
God created the animals and man on the fifth and sixth days of creation.
What Does It Say?
- On the fifth day of creation, God created the “great __________” as one of the creatures that dwell in the waters.
- God classified land animals into three groups called __________, and ___________ things and the ___________ of the earth.
- God created man to have ____________ over the fish, fowl, cattle and all the earth.
- God blessed man and told him to be fruitful, and multiply and _______________ the earth.
- After God had finished all creation, He saw that it was ________ good.
What Does It Mean?
- On the second day of creation, God creates the firmament and calls it Heaven (Genesis 1:7-8). On the fourth day of creation, God creates the sun, moon and stars and places them “in the firmament of the heaven” (Genesis 1:14-15, Genesis1:17). Now, on the fifth day of creation, God creates fowl (birds) to fly “in the open firmament of heaven” (v.20). Why do you think that called the place where the birds fly the “open firmament of heaven?” How is this different from the firmament in which the stars were placed?
- God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness” (v.26). Notice the use of the plural words us and our. The Jews and others have said that He was referring to the angels. Why is this not possible and to whom was He referring?
- In reference to both man and animals, God says, “I have given every green herb for meat” (v.30). What does this say about their diet? What happens in Genesis 8:3 when God says, “Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.”?
What Does It Mean to Me?
- What do you think it means that man was made in the image and the likeness of God (v.26)? In what ways should we try to be like God? In what ways should we not try to be like God?
- God told man to be fruitful, and multiply and replenish the earth (v.28). Make a spiritual application of this command. As a Christian, how can we be fruitful? How can we multiply? How can we replenish the earth?
The king by judgment establisheth the land: but he that receiveth gifts overthroweth it.