They Bend Their Tongue for Lies-Jeremiah 9:3
The tongue of man is a deadly weapon (James 3:5-8). In our passage, we find the tongue likened to a bow that is bent; only the arrows are lies. We find a similar thought in Psalm 64:3 where David says of the wicked that they “whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words.” The old saying, “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” may sound cute; but it is unscriptural. The Bible likens lies to arrows that are shot out of a bow. Could arrows shot out of a bow hurt others? Yes, and lies often bring hurt; maybe not physically, but in some form lies will wound others.
- (For smaller children) The tongue is also likened unto fire (James 3:6; Proverbs 16:27). What does a real fire do? You can hurt other people with your words, especially if your words are not true. Let's ask God to help us with our mouths as David did in Psalm 141:3
- Have you spread lies about other people? How could those lies hurt them (physically, emotionally, their testimony, etc.)? Would you be willing to shoot them with a bow and arrow? If not, why would you do it with your lies?
- Have you ever had lies told on you? How did that make you feel? Did it cause any trouble that you had to make right? Did it seem as though you might never recover from the lies that were told?
- Ask God to help you think before spreading things about others.
- Ask God to remind you of the bow and arrow before you spread lies.
His Way with Thee
LTB DEVOTIONS ON FACEBOOK
Receive the daily devotions on your facebook wall by clicking "Like" on http://www.facebook.com/kingjamesbibledailydevotions.