Tomb of Jesus
In the recent past I happened to surf a website www.tombofjesus.com. The contents of the site hurt me very much. It says the things I learned and practiced so far seems to be great foolishness.
Now Brother, with this foundation of our faith established, let us move on to the answer to your question.
What does www.tombofjesus teach. What do they have in common with all false religions & why do they teach these things?
The focus of this website is like so many other cults & false religions – they want to focus on anything but the Word Of God. Do not for a minute be fooled by their claims of “historical documents” & “proof”. As we will see shortly – these are not the only such “valid documents” that proclaim this deceit.
Written in the The Bhavishya Mahapurana, a Hindu Document written in Sanskrit, this teaching is clearly of Hindu origin (despite the websites claims) & supported also by Islamic sects. Found in a Buddhist monastery, these documents were promoted & written about by a Russian Jew named Nicholas Novotovich who had already determined in his mind that Jesus Christ was not the Messiah. It was he (Nicholas) who apparently spread this particular lie (of the Bhavishya Mahapurana account) into the “Intellectual” European world.
Primarily, this supposed “historic document” serves to convince others that Jesus Christ (whom they refer to as “Yuz Asaf”) did not die on the cross nor did he rise from the dead. Instead, they claim, he traveled to Kashmir, India & eventually met with King Shalivahana. There is much more detail in these claims, but in short - it clearly serves the end purpose of integrating Jesus Christ as just another of the hundreds of thousands of “deities” of Hinduism.
Men have tried to re-write history for years. There are people to this day who are convinced that the Jewish Holocaust never happened & that man has never landed on the moon. This means nothing – those events clearly did happen in history.
Do not think that legends of this kind are confined to India alone - let’s “go worldwide” & compare….
The Japanese Legend
According to the “historic document” below found in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan, it is said that the LORD JESUS CHRIST died at age 106 in northern Honshu, Japan. The story states that the document contains Jesus’ last will & testament (?!?!?) that his brother be buried next to him (?).
Consider this quote from one (non-Christian) source, describing this blasphemous heresy:
“According to Japanese legend, Jesus escaped His fate at Golgotha, fled across Siberia and eventually settled down in Shingo, Japan, a small garlic-farming community in Aomori Prefecture. To this day, the locals worship at a spot believed to mark his grave.”
False Tomb of Christ in Shingo Japan
Here is the link to the CNN website article describing what a tourist attraction this FALSE tomb of Jesus in Japan has become http://www.cnn.com/TRAVEL/NEWS/9907/08/japan.grave/.
The African Legend
A variety of “intellectuals” state that Jesus was an African rather than a Hebrew as the WORD says. Why do they claim this?
They quote secular historians:
"the God Christ, as well as his mother, are described in their old pictures and statues to be black. The infant God in the arms of his black mother, his eyes and drapery white, is himself perfectly black..the whiteness of the eyes and teeth, and the studied redness of the lips, are very observable."- Godfrey Higgens, Anacalvpsis
They use early 1st century artwork from the catacombs in Rome to show that he “must have been African”:
Early Catacomb Painting
Does that painting look like it tells you anything? Or does it look like they are desperate for “proof”.
It is true, in European art, we often see Jesus depicted as a light-skinned man with reddish hair and blue eyes. And African art has depicted him as having dark skin and Asian art has depicted him as having Asian eyes.
Simply put, this is creating a Christ that suits the individual’s preference – Jesus Christ IS a Jewish male who is also God.
The Da Vinci”Hoax”
More recently – a novel called “The Da Vinci Code” asserts that Jesus married Mary Magdalene & fathered children with her & that she moved to France where Jesus’ bloodline was carried on(?). This is blasphemy & the best proof that these “scholars” can put forth is a bunch of distorted, rewritten history & shallow speculation about Renaissance period artwork.
Sadly, this is a common belief among a portion of the “educated people” in this world today.
- Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
These people try to discredit Faith in The Lord Jesus Christ calling His resurrection a “myth” yet their very own beliefs are built on nothing more than God-denying legends & improvable conjecture.
The Mormon Myth
The Mormon religion (although it does not deny the resurrection of Jesus Christ) which claims to believe the Bible, teaches the following (which is not found in the Bible):
Some Israelites departed from the Middle East about 600 BCE, before the time of the Babylonian captivity and arrived in America. A patriarch Lehi had two sons: Nephi (from whom the Nephites descended) and Laman (from whom the Lamanites descended). The two tribes lived in a state of continuous feuding and warfare. The earthen mounds throughout the Palmyra area are believed to be attempts at defensive fortification. Eventually, the Lamanites exterminated all of the Nephites circa 385 CE, and became the ancestors of present day Native Americans. God gave to Native Americans their "red skins" in order to visually separate them from those who continued to follow God's commandments and teachings.
Jesus came to America after his resurrection where he performed miracles, delivered a sermon similar to the Beatitudes and selected twelve disciples from the Nephite tribe.
Red skins to mark the disobedient? 12 more disciples?
This religion teaches that there are many gods & that we can obtain a home in heaven & even godhood by believing on Christ AND good works, following Mormon ordinances etc. The religion’s founder Joseph Smith claimed to have received his initial revelation of these truths from an “angel” who visited him in his room.
- 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
- Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Here is the question to ask yourself – Which one is true?
The answer is clear – they can’t all be true. They are all false.
- Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
Could Jesus Have Survived The Crucifixion?
Firstly - The crucifixion killed far more than those that survived. Consider the account of Jewish historian Josephus that the website quotes to “prove” that Jesus “could have” survived the crucifixion:
“I was sent by Titus Caesar with Ceralius and a thousand riders to a certain town by the name of Thecoa to find out whether a camp could be set up at this place. On my return I saw many prisoners who had been crucified, and recognized three of them as my former companions. I was inwardly very sad about this and went with tears in my eyes to Titus and told him about them. He at once gave the order that they should be taken down and given the best treatment so they could get better. However two of them died while being attended to by the doctor; the third recovered.”
Notice, 2 out of the 3 men taken down from their crosses died. Only 1 survived. These people are so desperate to create doubt in your mind as to Jesus Christ’s death on the cross that they are using the exception (only 1 out of 3) to prove the rule. I point this out only to show you that these people will go to absurd lengths to try to make their point.
The other factor they failed to acknowledge was the flagellation (or beating) that the precious Lord Jesus suffered for us at the hands of the Roman soldiers before he was crucified. He was beaten mercilessly with the cat-of-nine tails – a whip with many strips, lined with broken glass, human bone & sharp metal. One historian states that most often when the beating from a cat-of-nine tails was over – the victim would be looking down at his own intestines lying on the ground. The survival rate from such a beating was not very high at all.
- Isaiah 52:14 As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:
(In case you are not familiar with these terms – “astonied” means literally to be made “as stone” & visage means physical appearance. Therefore his physical features were marred, torn & disfigured more than the physical appearance of any man & His form more than the sons of man – HE was not recognizable as a human being he was so viciously torn open – for us.)
- Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
However, The Lord Jesus did survive & went to the cross to be crucified. It is true that crucifixion didn’t kill everybody – as the Bible tells us – the 2 thieves who hung beside our Lord had to have their legs broken (so that they could not push themselves up for air) in order for them to finally die. When they got to Jesus – He was already dead & they pierced him with a spear in His side.
Having said all of that let me say - the Bible does not teach that any man or any act of cruelty took the Lord Jesus Christ’s life. He chose to give it. Not to allow himself to be tortured worse than anyone in history so that he would – finally die as a result of that torture. He took the pain & suffering as the chastisement or the punishment for our sins, (His blood is what cleanses our sins away) then at the time He chose, He dismissed His Spirit to the Father in Heaven. He literally chose the very second that His life here on earth ended (but only for a short time!!).
- John 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
- John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
- John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.
- Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
One problem with people like those who believe in the teachings found on www.tombofjesus.com is that they have no faith – therefore they can only see it as a physical, clinical matter – “did the crucifixion kill Jesus?”
Let me state it this way - could Jesus have survived the flagellation & the cross? ABSOLUTELY! He could have hung there all day, they could have pierced Him with the spear & beat him more but He would not have died until He chose to. HE is GOD & MAN. Did He survive the beating, the hideous torture & the crucifixion?
He did until the very moment - he decided to die - right there on the cross. Make no mistake my friend - when they took The Lord’s body down from that cross - he was 100% physically dead.
It's not a matter of whether or not Jesus could have survived - He could have - his life was not taken involuntarily - it was given.
They claim that ancient “Christians” support their claims. Please note, the “christians” they are referring to were the Gnostics & the ancient Nazarenes etc.) that may have called themselves Christians but in their teaching they denied Jesus for being Who He is – they were no christians.
Read this command from God:
- 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
What is the right spirit?
- 1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
What does that mean? We must look at the title for Jesus given. It means that every spirit that believes & teaches that the man Jesus is the Lord’s Christ (anointed one / the Son of God) & that He came in the flesh (meaning to earth as a man as the Bible says - but “in the flesh” also refers to the truth that He died & gave His flesh for our sins) is the Son of God. God became flesh so that He might give that flesh as a sacrifice for all men – therefore belief that He came in the flesh is necessary for that reason. One can believe that a man named Jesus was born a long time ago & lived as a historic & religious figure – but it is faith that believes He is the Son Of God who came to earth in the flesh & gave that flesh up to be sacrificed for the atonement of all mankind.
- 1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
What is the truth about the resurrection of The Lord Jesus Christ?
Luke 24:1-8 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words,
- Romans 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
- Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
- Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
- Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
- Ephesians 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
- Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
- 1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead , and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
- John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
- Acts 4:2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.
- Acts 4:33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
- Acts 17:18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
- Acts 17:32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.
- Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
- 1 Corinthians 15:12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
- 1 Corinthians 15:13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
- 1 Corinthians 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
- Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
- 1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
- 1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
- Revelation 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
- Revelation 20:5-6 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
It is the spirit of Antichrist that denies any of the truth of the Word of God – most importantly – the person of Jesus Christ, Who He is, what He has done for all of man if they will receive His free gift of Salvation. He is not just another teacher or philosopher – HE IS THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY.
This is what The Lord Jesus Christ himself has to say about those who receive or reject His truth.
- Matthew 7:24-27 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
They key to staying strong in your faith is two-fold – fellowship & communion with God Father & God the Son through Prayer with the help of God the Holy Spirit (ask The Holy Spirit to help you pray!) & Stay inside THE BOOK!
- John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
- Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
- Ephesians 4:14 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
- Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
The many lies of false doctrine is like a raging sea. It will rock you back & forth in confusion. The important thing that will help to change it all is when you ask the LORD JESUS to help you base what you believe on the what the BIBLE says ONLY no matter what men, other religious writings (or any other writings for that matter) may say - & then ask HIM by the Holy Spirit to show you the truth and plant it in your heart.
- John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”
Brother, be of good courage. Do not let this evil world discourage you. Rather rejoice in the TRUTH of God’s Word! If you have had your sins cleansed by the Blood of Jesus Christ – then you are saved forever & bound for heaven – your name is written right there with mine & so many others in The Lamb's Book of Life!