The Chastening of the Lord
Introduction: As Christian’s we really don’t enjoy the idea of chastisement. I know from dealing with Noah, that he would rather skip the chastisement and say that he has fixed the problem. Our understanding is not completely unscriptural for the scriptures often associate chastisement with fainting, enduring, rebuking, and correction. None of these are pleasant yet the scriptures would teach us that as Christian’s we desperately need the product of chastisement in our lives. If I were to ask anyone in this room if they want to be more like Christ it is an easy yes. However, if I were to tell you that one of the ways to become more like Him is through chastisement, all of the sudden it doesn’t sound so good. Perhaps we aren’t as good of Christian’s as we think ourselves to be.
- Chastisement is Not Punishment
- In Punishment God acts as the Judge whereas in Chastisement God acts as the Father
- As to Punishment it is to be received by the enemies of God whereas the recipients of Chastisement are God’s children
- As to Punishment, God delivers it from anger with sin and rebellion but Chastisement is delivered with love and reconciliation in mind.
- The Call for Chastisement
- The Motive for Chastening
- The Process of Chastening
- The Product of Chastisement
- Assurance of Salvation (Hebrews 12:7)
- Holiness (2 Corinthians 11:2; Titus 2:3-5)
- Righteousness (Hebrews 12:11b; Job 34:31)
- No Condemnation (1 Corinthians 11:32)
- The Absence of Chastisement (Hebrews 12:8)
Conclusion: In closing I would also like to mention a strange verse in the Bible dealing with a man who chastised himself before the Lord. In Daniel 10:12 we read, “Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.” As God’s people we should become so wrapped up in pleasing God that we would recognize times we were displeasing the Saviour and it would bring us to chasten ourselves. Men would you consider yourself chaste before the Lord? If not why not ask Him to chasten you? Ladies are you chaste? God commands you to be. If not why not ask the Lord to chasten you? You say, “it’s not fun being chastened”. You’re right but since when did having fun become more important than being like Christ?