Through Divers Temptations
Introduction: “But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good...” (Genesis 50:20). We never know what our lives or even a day may bring forth. We only know that we will face many trials in our lifetime. But rest assured, God has a purpose for these trials and temptations. If we will trust in Him, He will give us the victory and show us even greater blessings.
- The Definition of Temptation
- :To Test or to Try (Compare James 1:13; Genesis 22:1; Hebrews 11:17)
- Three Applications in the Bible
- The Diversity of Temptation
- From the Devil (Matthew 4:1-3; 1 Corinthians 7:5; 1 Thessalonians 3:5)
- From the World (James 4:1-4; 1 John 2:15-17; 2 Timothy 4:10)
- From the Flesh (James 1:13-15; Ephesians 2:3; Galatians 5:16-17)
- The Discipline of Temptation
- Leads to Patience (Romans 5:3-5)
- Leads to Perfection (Hebrews 5:8-9; 1 Peter 1:6-7; 4:1-2)-Paul (Acts 20:24) -Job (Job 13:15) : a level of completeness where the soul’s whole purpose is to please God
- The Defeat of Temptation
Conclusion: What should you do about this message?
- Accept temptations as part of your Christian life (2 Timothy 3:12)
- Joy in the knowledge that God is not through with you— When the chips start flying, the stone knows that the sculptor is not through.
- Look for the help that God has promised to give (Jeremiah 33:3)
- Walk on in faith expecting God to keep His promises (2 Corinthians 5:7)