“Take us the foxes, the little foxes,” Song of Solomon 2:15
- The Fox is subtle and crafty, so you have heard, or False-Teachers.
- The Fox is not only crafty, but cruel to harmless creatures; so are False-Teachers to the souls of men.
- Foxes invade in the night-time, like wolves. So do deceivers, whilst ministers sleep, or are secure, or neglect their watch.
- Foxes are great spoilers of vineyards: so False-Teachers do great hurt to the Church of God.
- Foxes never go strait forward, but by crooked windings, so False-Teachers never keep to the plain letter, and express meaning of the Word of God, but have their shifts and evasions, and unnatural inferences, whereby they seek to defend their evil doctrine.
- Foxes are often taken by traps that are laid for them. So are False-Teachers often found out and discovered by the true ministers of Christ: But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption; 2Peter 2:12. (See more of Foxes under the head metaphors concerning Wicked Men, and persecutors.)
This article may or may not have been edited by the webmaster of learnthebible.org. If you have any questions about this material feel free to ask.