Introduction: Not a message about one person like Gideon, but a message about a condition of this life. This condition is called despair. It means that all hope is gone. The Lord has left us on our own. But throughout scripture, God gives us examples of those who seemed to be left by the Lord and who often thought they had been deserted by Him but who later found that He had not left them at all.
Satan’s Attempts to Keep a Person Lost – John Bunyan (1628-1688), the author of Pilgrim’s Progress:
- Believed that Satan tries first of all to keep men in love with their sins and pleasures, to prevent them listening to those who warn against them.
- If this fails, his second ploy is to persuade the sinner that his anxieties about his soul are but a melancholy fit, calling for physic
- Satans third attack was to use consciousness of sin to reduce the sinner to despair of his own prospects.
- Finally his fourth line was to make thee rest upon thy own righteousness, to think that heaven can be earned. from A Tinker and a Poor Man by Christopher Hill (pl85-86).
- GOD IN THIS PLACE
- The Flight of Jacob (Genesis 27:42-43)
- The Appearance of the Lord (Genesis 28:10-13)
- The Lord is in this Place (Genesis 28:16-19)
- THOU GOD SEEST ME
- The Flight of Hagar (Genesis 16:4-6)
- The Appearance of the Lord (Genesis 16:7-12)
- Thou God Seest Me (Genesis 16:13-14)
- THE MASTER IS COME
- The Loss of Lazarus (John 11:14, 21)
- The Mourning of Mary (John 11:20)
- The Call of the Master (John 11:28)
- SEEING HIM WHO IS INVISIBLE
- The Flight of Moses (Exodus 2:11-15)
- The Backside of the Desert (Exodus 3:1)
- The Appearance of the Lord (Exodus 3:2-6)
- Seeing Him Who is Invisible (Hebrews 11:27)
- CAUGHT UP INTO PARADISE
- The Stoning of Paul (Acts 14:19)
- Caught up to Paradise (2 Corinthians 12:1-7)
- Returned to the Work (Acts 14:20-23)
CONCLUSION: Are you in despair? Do you feel that you have been deserted by the Lord. Know that He is still with you. Seek His presence and His power. Ask Him to show you His divine presence in your prison cell.