The tree of life is mentioned exactly ten times in the Bible. The first three times are in Genesis when access to the tree was lost by the fall of man. The last three times are in Revelation where access to the tree is regained. The middle four times are in the book of Proverbs where the tree is a type of the fruits of righteousness. Consider this outline comparing the first three and the last three mentions.
- The Position of the Tree
- Genesis 2:9 - "in the midst of the garden"
- Revelation 2:7 - "in the midst of the paradise of God"
- The Produce of the Tree
- Genesis 3:22 - to "eat, and live for ever"
- Revelation 22:2 - "bare twelve manner of fruits"
- The Permission to the Tree
- Genesis 3:24 - "a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life"
- Revelation 22:14 - "that they may have right to the tree of life"