I cannot often say this when I am trying to help settle a disagreement, but you are both right. There are a level of blessings that are given by the Lord to all people. Consider these verses:
- Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
- Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Acts 14:17 Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.
As you can see, the Lord is good to all. He makes the sun to rise and the rain to fall on both the good and the evil. This goodness is a testimony to all that He is indeed a good God who desires good for His created beings. Paul goes further and states that the goodness of God leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4). Certainly the Lord gives blessings to all His created beings.
However, the Lord also gives many special blessings to those who love and serve Him. One interesting phrase in the Bible is the one that speaks of those "that fear him." This phrase is used 14 times in the Bible and these verses tell us a number of blessings given to those who regard the Lord in a special way. Here are most of these verses:
- Psalm 25:14 The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
- Psalm 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;
Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
Psalm 34:9 O fear the LORD, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.
- Psalm 85:9 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.
- Psalm 103:11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
Psalm 103:13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
- Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
Psalm 111:5 He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant.
- Psalm 145:19 He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
Psalm 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.
Luke 1:50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
I do not know how any saint could read these verses and not glory in the goodness of God. If we fear Him, His secret is with us; His eye is upon us; the angel of the LORD encamps around us; we have no want; His salvation is near us; His mercy is toward us; He will fulfill our desire and hear our cry; and He takes pleasure in us. And this is seen by looking at this phrase alone. How many more blessings are described in other portions of God's holy word! We who know and serve God are blessed beyond blessing. The lost get to taste the blessings of God as medicine taken in a spoon; we get to swim in His blessings as if in the broad and deep ocean of His love. Take a little time today and count your blessings.